We are told that we can accomplish anything if we believe in ourselves. Of course, we know that to be untrue; we cannot accomplish anything in the world simply through belief—if that were true, a lot more children would be soaring in the skies above their garage roof instead of lugging around a cast for a few weeks!
However, we know that believing in yourself and accepting yourself for who you are is an important factor in success, relationships, and happiness and that self-esteem plays an important role in living a flourishing life.
Here are some examples of issues that can manifest from low self-esteem:
- You people please
- You’re easily angered or irritated
- You feel your opinion isn’t important
- What you do is never good enough
- You’re highly sensitive to others opinions
- The world doesn’t feel safe
- You doubt every decision
- You regularly experience the emotions of sadness and worthlessness
- You find it hard keeping relationships
- You avoid taking risks or trying new things
- You engage in addictive avoidance behaviors
- You struggle with confidence
- You find it difficult creating boundaries
- You are often unsure of who you are
- You struggle to say no
These examples on low self-esteem can feel alarming and disheartening, if you identify with them. However, it is important note is that self-esteem is not fixed. It is flexible and measurable, meaning we can assess for and improve upon it through therapy. The whole story shows that there are many people with a healthy sense of self-esteem, and they enjoy some great benefits and advantages. For instance, people with healthy self-esteem:
- Are less critical of themselves and others.
- Are better able to handle stress and avoid the unhealthy side effects of stress.
- Are less likely to develop an eating disorder.
- Are less likely to feel worthless, guilty, and ashamed.
- Are more likely to be assertive about expressing and getting what they want.
- Are able to build strong, honest relationships and are more likely to leave unhealthy ones.
- Are more confident in their ability to make good decisions.
- Are more resilient and able to bounce back when faced with disappointment, failure, and obstacles.
If you are hoping to experience these benefits and advantages in your world and connect with your authentic self, contact me today to schedule an appointment.